Chiropractic Clinic Functional Medicine in Panama City, FL
Unlike conventional medicine, in which practitioners focus only on treating the symptoms of a disease, Functional Medicine treats patients like people. At its core, Functional Medicine is the very definition of patient-centered care, and is ideal for addressing anyone’s varied needs for a healthy life. As a result, it is an ideal system of practice not only for treating chronic disease, but for also restoring and maintaining proper bodily functions, including nutrition, digestion, elimination, immune function, the endocrine system, and the neurological system.
When making use of the Functional Medicine services at Bay Clinic of Chiropractic, you can be assured that your complete biography will guide the help you receive, and the end result will always be sustainable health.
Functional Medicine addresses all the complicated dimensions in a patient’s life to assess potential problem areas that are causing a patient distress—not only pain, but anything that results in a reduction in health or happiness. In order to get a complete picture of a patient’s needs, a variety of assessment methods is used, including a comprehensive physical exam and the latest in lab testing technology. Most importantly, however, a Functional Medicine practitioner talks to the patient about everything that might be relevant to their health. It seems almost too obvious to mention, but this is a step that is too often ignored by conventional doctors, who are typically more concerned with masking symptoms with drugs than with helping patients learn what their body needs to be their best, healthiest self.
It may sound old-fashioned, but people are more than just a collection of diseases to be eradicated; we’re complex living beings, with thousands of factors that can affect our health.
That’s why, when putting together a comprehensive picture of a patient’s health, a doctor who practices Functional Medicine collects a great deal of information about a wide array of subjects, including:
- Physical and mental health history, including mental or physical traumas that may influence your health and your health needs
- Dietary practices—what you eat and how it affects your body and mind
- Behavioral factors—how and how often you exercise, overall lifestyle, etc
- Genetic blueprint—how your DNA affects the way your body works and what can be done about it
- Environmental factors—how you are affected by the air you breathe, the space you inhabit, the way you get around and interact with the world, etc
- Social, mental, and spiritual influences—we are more than just a collection of tissues and organs, and how we consider the world influences our health in profound ways
After this comprehensive assessment, Functional Medicine practitioners consider all potential treatments and lifestyle choices in helping a patient recover and maintain their optimal health. The list of treatments that Functional Medicine can use to help a patient is vast, and can include:
- Stress management techniques
- Bio-organic supplements
- Lifestyle and exercise counseling
- Therapeutic diets
- Comprehensive detox programs